Ruapuha and Uekaha

Ruapuha alias Takiwai was son of Kahuitangaroa and grandson of Kinohaku. Some of the descendants of Ruapuha settled at Waitomo. Ruapuha held mana over the land on the eastern side of the Waitomo River and was the tupuna whom the original owners of Hauturu East 8 as determined by the court, claimed descent as well as that of occupation.

Uekaha was the son of Te Kawairirangi and grandson of Maniapoto. He held mana over the land on the western side of the Waitomo River, part of which formed Hauturu 3B1 where the caves amenity buildings, passenger drop off zone and bus park are located. Hauturu 3B1 boundaries on to both entrances of Hauturu 1A6.

NB: In 1990 Hauturu 1A6 and 3B1 were amalgamated to form Hauturu East 8 Block.

 

Tomokia
View the latest Tomokia Issue 8
- October 2016.

Download Tomokia as a PDF for printing (2MB)

In this issue of Tomokia

  • RUHT Annual General Meeting
  • New Trust Order Approved
  • Education Grants Round for 2017
  • Online Database

View the latest Issue, October 2016 »

Corporate Documents

Corporate Documents

Our vision, our mission, our values and our goal.

Read More

Our History

Our History

Read Bruce Stirling's report on the compulsory acquisition of the Waitomo Glowworm Caves in the early 1900's and the Wai 51 claim that saw the Caves returned to the Ruapuha Uekaha Hapu Trust in 1990.

Read More

Our Gallery

Gallery

View a timeline of our people and places.

Read More